Thursday, May 5, 2011

Writing for money

A good friend of mine emailed me about a month or two ago about my job troubles. She gave me some really good advice, she said I love reading your blog, you're a really good writer, have you thought about trying to write for a living? And I had, back in elementary school and middle school. Well more in middle school I guess seeing as though in elementary school I just assumed "what you wanted to be when you grew up" was more for the fun of it than to make money. But I even wrote Writer under Future Occupation in my Grade 10 year book. But as soon as I got into college and got into the world of writing papers and having no idea where this degree was heading I suppose I lost sight of my love for writing.

So I am pleased to announce that after a chance encounter once and one email sent, so very, very little effort on my part, I am having an article published in the newest Okanagan magazine called Next. It's all about sustainability centred in the Okanagan. So I pitched an article about Cloth Diapers and they loved it. If this goes well I'm thinking of asking if they would like a regular "Green Mom" column because I would be happy to do that. I have no shortage of ideas for columns. If Mothering magazine was around still I would maybe pitch an article to them too. I was also thinking local newspapers could use a Mom column, but we'll see how this venture goes first.

My other news is my facebook break. Maybe it was the energy spent Green Campaigning, maybe it's Stanley Cup Playoffs and the play by plays of the game that get posted on my news feed (just so ya know, if I wanted to know everything that happened in the game I would just watch it), at any rate I felt done with facebook. I think overall it was just how I seem to get lost in facebook. I use it as an escape from things I don't want to be present for, especially, for instance, a cranky child. So as of Tuesday I went on an indefinite length facebook break. I'm not saying I will make it further than my longest break of 8 days but I'm also not saying that I ever will return. We'll see how it goes. I know having two kids right now I'm noticing the extra time I have from being off facebook. I know this will be very valuable once I have this second baby. And until then I'm going to use the extra time to work on my yoga homework and lesson plans that I would like to get in before I have this baby. Then I only have my practical exam, written exam and thesis specialty project. Ok that still sounds like a lot but at least I will have my 10 lesson plans done.

I've encouraged people to email me and use the telephone. Who knows if they will, I did get a phone call today actually! Well two one from Erin about the park which was just too difficult with two babes and one from Please Mum offering me a job. It may surprise most to hear that I declined the job, but I doubt it would surprise those who know me best. They wanted me to work every Saturday morning during farmer's market and then maybe two other shifts during the week so probably under 10 hours a week total. I'm not giving up my precious farmer's market family time every single week. I'm not looking for a job but if the right job is looking for me I'm sure I will accept it.

Tomorrow is my husband and I's 5th Wedding Anniversary. I've been giving him lots of reminders so I think this year could really be the year he actually remembers. It's also Mother's Day on Sunday so hopefully it's an all round fantastic weekend for family. Justin and I watch both boys tomorrow and then have the weekend off and then I watch them both on Monday and it's sounds like back to Spokane for them on Tuesday. It's been fun but I'm looking forward to some one on one time with my little man again. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment