Monday, July 23, 2012

I'm lazy

It's not exactly a mind-blowing epiphany but it is something that just really hit home the last couple of days.  I am lazy.


Tonight I didn't make Eli brush his teeth before bed.  I know it's good for him, but he was so cranky I wanted to get him to sleep.  I didn't want to accidentally turn on the light in the bathroom and set him off.  Or fight over how much toothpaste was on his brush, or what order we put water in the cup and on his brush in.  I just wanted to get him to sleep off the crankies and have a moment to myself to talk about the crankies with all of you.


Ozzy is not a good eater so far.  He's really difficult to feed in that he will eat the first two spoonfuls and then spend the rest of the time trying to wrestle the spoon from me.  He wants to feed himself but when he does finger foods he chokes himself and when he spoon feeds himself he gags himself and sends food everywhere.  This is why I had pretty much stopped trying to feed him.


Lazy.


Ozzy has been very cranky the last couple of weeks and eating all. the. time.  I'm so drained (literally and figuratively).  I came to the conclusion that he needs food in order for us all to happily coexist.  Today has gone better.  I'm struggling through the spoon feeding wrestle.  He had oatmeal for breakfast (I coffee grinded whole oats and added them to boiling water for like 2-3 minutes) that I added breastmilk to that seemed to go down well.  He had squash for lunch that my mom said he thoroughly enjoyed.  And he had rice cereal for dinner.  I fed him much less and he napped better and was generally happier today.  Here's hoping we solved the issue.  The only concerning point is that he seems to have bowel troubles with food, I hope his gut is ready.


Ozzy is 8 months old today!  I didn't weigh him but he is 2 foot 2.5 inches.  Likely around 23 lbs.


Eli has been doing well.  He seems to be thriving on my giving lots of notice approach.  Lots and lots of notice to anything we do, but especially bedtime.  He's becoming such a funny kid!

We had a spider in our en suite sink that we named George when we moved in but he left after about 3 weeks and I said he found a new home.  Then out of the blue today Eli asked  (or maybe told me?) that George went shopping for groceries.


And he named the measuring stick giraffe that we put up Tall.  No.  Mr. Tall.


Bedtime routine, I've been lazy.  Lazy, lazy.  Oh well I give more baths now at least.  I'm not sure what I think I have better to do with my time.  Sometimes all I want to do is stare into the abyss and not think.  That's an activity, right?  Maybe not one that trumps being with your children but oh well.  You do your best each day.

2 comments:

  1. You're doing your best with the resources (including energy!) that you have. I know it's natural to be hard on yourself--I do the same--but no one is 100% on their game all the time. You're a great mom doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have every confidence that you are doing better than you think! :D And yes, we all do the best we can each day. As for Ozzy and the wanting to feed himself...rather than just making it either a you feed him or he does it all by himself feeding - have you tried letting him hold the spoon and then you hold his little fist and help him guide the food to his mouth? I did this with Phoenix when she first wanted to feed herself with a spoon until she got the idea of how it worked...it didn't take long and feedings were much faster. If it works for you it's a win win situation as he won't be fighting you for the spoon and gets the satisfaction of doing it mostly himself. :) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete