Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summer lovin'

I have definitely been loving the summer heat.  Well maybe not definitely.  Our house is a furnace.  We have no air conditioning.  It sucks.  I don't do well hot.  I'm a pitta.  We're already hot and passionate enough, we need no help.  I have worse patience, I don't want to move, I definitely don't want to hold little ones.

So we bought back our swamp cooler from a friend.  The first night was wonderful and then it broke.  Doh!

Luckily my hubby is very handy and today it's been back in service.

All in all, we have had to leave our house for the great outdoors most evenings because of it being too hot which has led to many adventures outside.  Eli couldn't be happier.
Ozzy has been pretty cranky generally.  Not because of being outside more, just cranky.  Especially in the evenings.  He needs to go to bed at about 6:30pm for the night and likely would rise at 5:30am if allowed.  But the way it usually goes down is he goes down at 6:30pm for about a half hour and then Eli will wake him.  We could close the door but then Eli would scream and pound the door and wake him anyway.  Then Ozzy is awake and cranky and will eat and be happy for about 15 minutes and revert back to cranky while I try and put Eli to bed over an hour or two.  Then once Eli is asleep I put Ozzy in our bed for the night and milk him to sleep and he's down till about midnight or 2am, depending on the evening.

Then at 6:30am Ozzy is up and at 'em and Eli could use a couple more hours of sleep and is cranky all morning until I manage to get him to surrender into a nap, if I can manage to.

My Mother-in-law went through the same thing she said, her first was the early riser though and her second had colic.  I could have it so much worse.  She'd crawl to bed at 5am or so to be woken up at 6am by her toddler, ready to go for the day.

What I really don't get about kids is why you can tell they need a nap and are so, so exhaustedly tired and yet all they want to do is fight sleep?  Why?  WHY?

But overall life is pretty good, I'm still in my upswing where I can quickly find the bright side and that the grass is in fact as green on both sides of the fence.  I'm enjoying most moments with my children.  I've even gotten into the habit of talking to Eli before bed to help him calm down.  I ask him how his day was, ask him what he did, sometimes he makes stuff up, sometimes he chooses to tell me what he ate.  Then I ask him what his favorite part was and it's always different and interesting.  Today the question was answered with avoidance, also known as "Mother, can you not see I'm too busy to answer your trivial question?  I am conducting a scientific experiment to determine if my bath boats are capable of water transfer to one another."

This summer is shaping up to be a good one.  I am especially excited about an upcoming wedding of two very close friends of ours.  I will be doing my first full day with out Oz-bert so hopefully that goes well.   He will be with Baba and Grandpa and Eli of course.  I think they will have a fun time and then hubby and I can concentrate on being good wedding coordinators/MC's.  I'm going to count it as a date.  Trust me.  It counts.

The more I learn about myself, the more I learn about my kids.  I'm a much more calm, collected person when I have some sort of life away from them.  I think that's a good thing.  It's good to show your children that everyone needs alone time, or independent time.  As long as some one is there for them at all times they will do fine with it.  They will grow up to be secure individuals and I will keep my sanity!



No comments:

Post a Comment