Sunday, November 27, 2011

The story of Ozzy

The story of Ozzy:  (A possible TMI for the faint of heart)


On Tuesday night I was really cranky.  I told baby it was time, I'd had enough.  Then when we got home from picking up Eli from my parents after yoga, I wrote on our whiteboard "Honey Do List" - "HAVE BABY".  A task that I was able to cross off the very next morning.  
At yoga that Tuesday night my yoga teacher was teaching a kriya to clear the sub-conscious mind.  He looked directly at me and said "this is what your baby is waiting for."  I said in return, "ok, I will hold you to that.  I better have this boy tomorrow."  Then I did the kriya with all my heart, soul and intention.  


At 4:45am I had a very uncomfortable contraction, and more came every about 15 minutes. I was not convinced.  They got closer together but stayed the same pain level but they were every 6 mins, 8 mins, 10 mins, so I was really unconvinced.  But still something told me to page my midwife just from how uncomfortable I was.  Suzanne was attending a birth in Kelowna but said she'd have Aly call me shortly.  A half hour later Aly called me and offered to check me before she went in to clinic even though my contractions were leveling off at 10 mins apart.
I will never forget the relief I felt when she told me I was 4-5 cm at 8:30am.  It's actually happening!!!!!  I had a shower and called in my team and they were all here within about 40 minutes.  We sat around and chatted for about an hour and at 10:30 my contractions were getting very intense, much more intense than with Eli.  By 11am I was 9cm dilated and I moved to my birthing room where I leaned on the ball on my knees with Erin and Justin massaging my back, Fateh taking pictures, my mom feeding Eli lunch in the kitchen. 




Then I needed to go to the bathroom and that was where my body needed to start pushing. So in the tiniest room in my entire house I hung off Justin's shoulders and pushed, Aly and Suzanne squished against the sink, Erin in the bathtub, Fateh in the doorway documenting it all.  Eli still eating blissfully in the kitchen.  Finally my midwives brought in the birthing stool since holding my weight was wearing on Justin and 2-3 pushes later, Erin brushing back my hair, Justin and Aly caught little Ozzy.  My placenta put the icing on the cake by surprising everyone 20 seconds later.  I got to hold my little man immediately but he was a little blue so they took him for some oxygen which did the trick.  






On the way by Eli got his first look at his little brother and has been smitten every since giving him as many kisses as we allow.


After some stitching I was good as new and Erin helped me remember how to breastfeed, Fateh took care of everyone feeding toast and tea, Justin took amazing care of me and my mom gave Eli his big brother gift which he played with delightfully.


Let me just say this right now I love my birth team, every person there was so valuable to me in their own special way and I am so lucky.  Thank you birth team you made this perfect for me.
It was truly perfect and everything I could have hoped for though more pain than I remembered but definitely still tolerable.



Ozzy weighed 8 lbs 3 oz and was 21.25 inches.  He took to feeding immediately and is sleeping pretty well.  We are a little concerned with jaundice currently so it's been difficult getting him to stay awake for the 15 minutes minimum suggested by my midwives.  So I am hoping we can de-yellow him quickly and will not need any heat lamp assistance.


Other than that nursing is as painful as I remember which is too bad.  I have had lots of help from my mom in law and Justin's family.  I am definitely nervous about when I have to do this all on my own but am trying not to think about it and am just concentrating on healing right now.  Luckily the after pains are going away (ouch!).  It's true, they are worse the second time!!  


I am feeling very blessed with my family right now!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!


And so begins my second year of confessions of a new mom.  I truly feel like a new mom all over again, especially after that completely different pregnancy and birth.



No comments:

Post a Comment