Thursday, January 20, 2011

I used to head bang to music...

I'm vibrating. I've had such a strange day. Ups and downs, emotional highs and lows. Eli has been super cranky the past two days, I'm pretty sure tooth #5 must be on it's way... hope hope hope. On the bright side it gives me LOTS of practice at parenting from the heart and really being present in the moment. It's still very difficult.

We had a beautiful women's full moon meditation that Eli also attended. He was so good, he always is when there is meditating involved. And a friend Fateh and I both came to the conclusion that a circle full of women is the ideal play pen. Everyone commented on how calm he was and of course I beamed with pride. His spiritual name Siri Simran does mean great meditator after all.

So yeah on to my topic of the day. Eli has been banging his head against everything. Unfortunately fear took over and the negative part of my mind remembered reading something somewhere about relating autism to head banging. But I read it over and it's a rare connection and he is the complete opposite of all the other symptoms in that he loves interacting, talking, being cuddled, and can't wait to get to the next milestone. So I am definitely not worried about that.

The other reasons for head banging according to baby centre:

1) Attention
2) Comfort
3) Pain relief
4) Frustration

To me most of these seem like the same thing. He is in pain so he's frustrated and wants my attention for comfort. Their suggestions are less than helpful: keep him safe, reinforce good behaviour, give him a metronome (not sure how this helps??), give him a bedtime routine.

I just don't have any solution to what I need. What do I do when he is banging his head at the moment he is banging his head? I tried cuddles, distraction by playing with him, vibrating teether, food, milk. It was enough frustration to make me want to start banging my head. If anyone has gone through this and has suggestions feel free to post. I will try those natural teething capsules if this continues tomorrow, hopefully it won't though.

In more exciting, awesome Eli news, he now dances. As of Saturday he started bobbing away to music. He especially likes the tunes his excersaucer (now play table) sings and MC Yogi. He's been known to boogie to MJ a bit too. It's so hilarious he just starts bending his knees, bobbing his head and sticking his butt out. My heart nearly exploded with love the first time he did it. Even in these ridiculously trying days I love him unconditionally and compassionately. Still no update on height and weight. It's almost getting to a point where why bother until he's a year?


Lastly, this blog is called confessions of a new mom's first year. So in theory, it should be ending when my boy turns a year old. Which means it should be ending in exactly 23 days.

But to end the suspense of all my many, many (*cough 4) faithful followers, 2 of which are actually the same person, I have decided my blogging will not end at my son's first birthday. Rest at ease, it will continue despite the name being slightly confusing since I feel there are many more stories to tell about Eli and there will be other "first years" to document yet. I may change the description but that's ok, it's allowed. Horray for the edit button.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any personal experience with the headbanging but I know my sister's second did that around Eli's age and she used to worry about it and tried all those things and nothing. She finally noticed/came to the conclusion that he'd do it when nothing was going on - almost like he was bored and needed more stimulation or something. He didn't lack for attention or anything but as a second child he didn't get as much one on one on his level as her first did. Does Eli seem upset when he bangs his head or is he just kind of quiet and sitting or standing against the wall when he does it? My nephew would just be against the wall in someway and doing it - almost like he wasn't really aware he was doing it and it was never hard enough for him to hurt himself. So, it could be just a phase but if Eli is visibly upset in some way when doing it then I'd say the comforting you're doing is the best way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete