Thursday, January 27, 2011

Less is more UPDATE

So I did my closet today. I was ruthless. I kept enough work clothes for 10 days which means 5 shirts, 4 dresses, 2 pairs of pants, a pair of work bermudas, and 3 skirts. The most of one item I kept was 6 sweaters other than my 2 weeks of underwear and socks. The thing that choked me the most was how many clothes I had to keep for maternity and post-partum. But oh well, I only kept the good quality ones, anything else I need I can buy.

So there is a gigantic pile of clothes on our bedroom floor.

Then I started on Eli's clothes but I'm having trouble remembering how often I had to change him in the beginning stages. Also there is premie clothes, newborn, 0-3 months and 3-6 months all for the beginning stages so I'm not sure how much of which he needed and how fast he outgrew everything and started getting too big for the typical sizing. Geez, amazing how much you can forget in only a year.

I'm also brining a bunch of things to consign to local store Angel Babies. Exciting stuff!!

I did buy Eli a new pair of Robeez today though. But here were my reasons:

1) the store had them 50% off
2) he loves his robeez and has troubles in hard soled shoes
3) he often slips in his current shoes (one pair Stonz, one pair robeez, one pair padraig) and these have textured soles rather than leather
4) they are brown with plaid black and red lumberjack type print!!!!

Ok, maybe that last one isn't a good reason, but the other 3 are!

But the best part about cleansing my wardrobe is I feel cleansed! The rest of the day I felt liberated and lighter. It's wonderful to only keep what you wear and like the look of yourself in! There were three things I really wrestled with. I did end up tossing one and we'll see about the other two. It's strange how many memories we have tied to clothes isn't it?

Another great thing about it, I now have 3 extra drawers!!! That'll help me keep the clothes I kept more organized instead of stuffing them into a drawer where I can't tell what is even in it. Also more hangers! And lastly, I've inspired my husband (and a few others by the comments on my last post) to do the same!

Tomorrow I hope to finish Eli's clothes and do our coat closet. Backpacks and scarves beware!

1 comment:

  1. Good job!
    I hope to do our clothes this weekend - not quite as ruthless (for example, the wedding dress is staying) but both mine and Cory's wardrobes will be done this weekend - hopefully. I don't want to be a minimalist but I do want to reduce the amount of stuff we have.
    And perhaps with Eli's stuff - you will get some new things from friends/family too - and perhaps some second hand from friends/family - so if you get rid of too much it may not be as much of an issue as you think...

    ReplyDelete